Monday, May 5, 2008

My insights from San Jose

As many of you know, I'm an old trainer, corporate management consultant and personal growth coach. So I know about goal setting, purpose statements and all that goes with changing behavior and creating a reality.

But my heart was heavy as I started the conference at the San Jose Convention Center. I felt stuck, unmotivated and sad that I was not building my business by helping others experience the wonder of ReLiv's optimal nutritional support that leads to healing.

I had a serious conversation with my room mate Garnet about this and she asked me "Well, what are you looking for?" The perfect growth coach question, I evidently couldn't ask myself.

"I want to know why I'm so stuck and how to get moving on sharing these products and this great opportunity. I want to get unstuck." I replied.

"Well, then," she assured me. "You will get that, just keep asking that question."

My answer came Saturday morning. Three young (very young to me) distributors where on stage presenting a workshop entitled "Focus: The key to Achieving Your Goals". Pretty basic stuff I thought. But as the workshop proceeded, I was surprised and delighted to receive many new insights to my stuck situation.

The first was in the form of an axiom. "If you chase two rabbits at the same time, you lose both of them".

It pictured well and I realized I'd been trying to serve two masters much in the same way I was when I began my career as a psychotherapist (growth coach).

At that time, I was doing several corporate management training workshops and figured I could build my therapy practice with the help my new wonderful mentor/employer and support system. Then, I figured, I could gradually stop doing the management training as my therapy practice grew.

But I was very surprised when my employer, told me "NO".

She said, "You must put 100% into this effort and give up your other work". I was stunned. I was afraid, but I did it.

I completed my current contracts with corporate clients such as GM, Amoco Oil, and other local manufacturing plants. At the same time, I left an apartment and area I loved, moved in with my sister, shared her townhouse for an entire year, commuted into the city and dug in with the meager start of five clients and very little income.

But, I succeeded. Through that sacrifice, I found the motivation and energy to become the best therapist I could be. My corporate career was over and my new growth coach career had begun. I never looked back, and I never regretted it. I was 48 years old.

So, I'm grateful for the energy and enthusiasm of those three distributors in San Jose who talked about turning your focus to ReLiv in order to succeed and reach your goals. There was more I gained from hearing them, but the rabbit quote was the best and I received it within hours of asking for it.

I have one more personal insight regarding my reluctance to take on ReLiv as a business. As you know, I'm 100% behind the products and I love the company as a whole. But, that other story must be left to private phone calls, not to be displayed here on the public blog. Call me anytime and I will be happy to tell you what it is.

Many blessings to all. Let's stay healthy as we journey through this wonderful thing called Life!

Sandy

No comments: